WEB: Shimakura Rika x WaniBooks "RikaWani Kohaku Utagassen" vol.4: This time is the 80s idol showdown!!

 This time is an 80s idol showdown!!

---------------------------------

RikaWani Kohaku Utagassen Vol.4

Heisei-born, debuted in Reiwa idol Shimakura Rika loves Showa era songs. In each issue, she discusses the charms of various Showa songs from her own perspective!

2020/12/17

Rascals can be pure?

Wani  There’s only two issues left until the end of the year!

Rika  As of right now, the Red Team is in the lead with 3 wins and 1 loss

Wani  
I’ve come to understand how Rika-chan determines her wins and losses....

Rika  Is it really that obvious? (laughs) 

Wani  It is (laughs) Now please introduce this time’s theme and the song for White Team.

Rika  This time’s theme is "Didn’t get/become the girlfriend, and the heartbreak is too devastating" and from White Team is "Kamisama Help!" (God Help Us!) by the Checkers




Wani  I love the Checkers! We’re from the same province!

Rika  Is that so? (laughs)

Wani  Their more refined music in their later years is great, but their early Showa-like sound is also amazing. "Kamisama Help!" is a song from what’s called their transitional period.

Rika  Personally, I like "Jim&Jane no Densetsu" because there’s a story to it

Wani  That one’s good too! As for myself I can’t choose... I might be able to say either "Hoshikuzu no Stage" or "Julia ni Shoushin" ...... Sorry I’m getting nostalgic. Let’s get back to "Kamisama Help!"

Rika  This is totally a Checkers-like song. The lyrics are a bit rough (like a delinquent) and mischievous, and they’ll end lyrics with ‘ze’

Wani  It’s like a rebellion against grown-ups and society. But you can’t really hate the Checkers

Rika  The protagonist of this song is a boy who’ll just watch from afar and won’t confess his true feelings. He’s a late bloomer at love.

Wani  He’s like that because he already said she’s like his younger sister. 

Rika  I wonder if they have a Senpai-Kouhai type of relationship? He’s always being so uptight so it’s really cute that he’s asking for help from God (laughs) The wording from "I Love You from 1 to 100" is so cute. The rascals are the purest to the ones they love, aren’t they?

Wani  That’s true that the delinquents are pure to the girls they like, and it makes me swoon. Plus, Fumiya-san’s shout works so well!

Rika  It isn’t exactly sad, and musically there’s a sense of pop, so it’s the very essence of the Checkers!



The Saito Yuki of the 80s was the best. And her face is my type!

Wani  Counter attacking from the Red Team is?

Rika  It’ll be Saito Yuki’s "Shiroi Honoo"



Wani  She was the icon of our generation’s "Sukeban Deka" !! She used the Sukeban Yo-yo.... With a high ponytail and sailor uniform. The cutest Saito Yuki-san!

Rika  Her face is my type! It’s so cute it’s the best ♡ though I don’t see the "Sukeban Deka" image in this song

Wani  Speaking of Saito Yuki’s discography, you love "Sotsugyou" a lot don’t you?

Rika  I started off through "Sotsugyou" and fell more and more in love with Saito Yuki-san from there, but "Shiroi Honoo" is her most impressive song by far.

Wani  And as the theme implies, it’s really sad?

Rika  The song’s intro is really powerful. I feel that it’s packed with feelings of "anger" , "sadness" , and "deep feelings". On my first listen I thought that she was mad at her lover falling in love with someone else? But on further listens I realized that she hadn’t even been the girlfriend!

Wani  How so?

Rika  The lyrics "I couldn’t even dial the last 5 on the phone" Like, what a poor girl with her hidden feelings!! Then I’d say "Am I a sad girl?" to myself 

Wani  There’s that question......

Rika  Even if her heart is wanting to do something, she can’t really express it

Wani  She can’t say how she truly feels. Unrequited feelings are a heartbreaking thing.

Rika  I feel that a title like "Shiroi Honoo" (White Flame) represents this. It isn’t a passionate red, or a blue that burns quietly with strength, but white. It’s a flame that’s lost all of its color, and it gives the impression that all of its feelings are spent. 

Wani  I see, so that’s your interpretation. For decades I’ve been imagining the strong-willed, composed, philosophical main protagonist of "Sukeban Deka", Asamiya Saki (laughs)

Rika  No that might be part of it too!! I just felt that way because I looked at the lyrics by itself. The color white may seem calm and gentle, but it may actually be the hottest color. Anyway, the song’s overall quality is amplified by Saito Yuki-san’s expressions, which combines innocence and a mature charm

Wani  Let’s now decide the winner!

Rika  The sadder one is "Shiroi Honoo" , but.....

Wani  And lonelier.

Rika  Shaking and alone, with a depth of sadness and sorrow, the victor is "Shiroi Honoo" !

Wani  Red Team is strong!!

Rika  For one, I definitely really like Saito Yuki-san’s face. There are many more songs to talk about, so please look forward to it!

Wani  Could it be that this time, the winner was decided from the very beginning?!







-------------------------------------------------------



A word from the translator…

Rika-chan is an unstoppable force of nature! Her analysis of “Shiroi Honoo” is one to remember

Following the 5th translation of RikaWani, I’ll start going out of order. If you have any suggestions, requests, please DM!


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment