WEB: Shimakura Rika x WaniBooks "RikaWani Kohaku Utagassen" vol.2: What'll be the outcome of round two!?


What'll be the outcome of round two!?

---------------------------------

RikaWani Kohaku Utagassen Vol.2 

Heisei-born, debuted in Reiwa idol Shimakura Rika loves Showa era songs. In each issue, she discusses the charms of various Showa songs from her own perspective!

2020/11/19


Active as an idol who loves "Showa" !


Wani  Rika-chan, you've really become the present-day idol who loves Showa era songs!

Rika  Really? I'm glad 

Wani  
Like just the other day you were exploding with Showa love on TV!!

Rika  I'm grateful to have been included in a project revolving around the theme of "Showa" , but there are lots of people who know more than me so it gets fun and I learn a lot! And as a result, I'm realizing that I really love the Showa era these days! 

Wani  Now onto the main topic at hand. Red team won the first round, but what about this time? I'm interested to see what the theme will be

Rika Each time I pick out songs that I like, which makes it a little scary since it's so hard to choose between them. I'm sure that I'm going to hesitate on picking a winner this time too......

Wani  Please introduce the theme!

Rika  The theme is "Farewells" 

Wani  Farewells? It's already full of the bitter, Showa era feeling. It's already that time of year to sense a breakup. The time of Christmas, the end of the year is approaching so it's a bit saddening.

Rika 
In Showa songs, there are many with the theme of farewells that are in minor key. So for this time, I will again introduce two songs that I love. 


As for the regretful protagonist...

Wani  First for White Team is?

Rika  It'll be Noguchi Goro-san's "Shitetsu Ensen"




Wani  There he is! The most talented of the New Big Three

Rika  Noguchi Goro-san is really good at singing. You get charmed when you hear his voice

Wani  For example?

Rika  The first thing coming to mind is the scene starting from the song's introduction. Doesn't the whole thing have a sepia filter feeling?

Wani  Y- Yes......

Rika  I don't think I've ever seen a train station where I can see the platform from the ticket gate, but from here I can picture it in my mind clearly. That's how scenic this song is. 

Wani  And now, most of the city center has been elevated

Rika  I've never even tried talking using a messaging board.

Wani  Because it's easier to contact someone using instant messaging. 

Rika  When I think of how this is the way people of the era communicated with one another, it's like every word carries importance. I can also feel the warmth. 

Wani  But isn't the modern way a lot more convenient? Because one of those words can create misunderstandings...... 

Rika  That's why it's good! 

Wani  To be left alone in a city with a bustling shopping district waiting for your lover who won't ever come back is so lonely.

Rika  Imagining the part about how she suddenly disappears, I get the impression that she was just playing around with him. 

Wani  No way, there must've been some serious circumstances. I can't believe she dumped that naïve, innocent-seeming Noguchi Goro!

Rika  I don't think that's quite the case...... But we can be for sure that she's definitely not coming back. And he can't be waiting around for her forever. It might've even been his first love. It was just a sudden breakup with a reason he doesn't know, but it could've been some feelings that have been piling up for her, or it could've been a sign. Like she'd want to say "Let's forget about it and move on!"


Actually, it's got positive lyrics 

Wani  I'm a bit rigid with the White Team, and I think they're quite disadvantaged...... but please introduce the retaliating Red Team

Rika  Teresa Teng-san's "Tsugunai"




Wani  
That's the song most you're most into right now! 

Rika  I love Teresa Teng-san  Unlike "Shitetsu Ensen" , this one is an adult breakup

Wani  Is "Shitetsu Ensen" a song for young people?

Rika  There's a big difference there. Plus, don't a lot of Teresa Teng-san's songs have the feeling of love left unfulfilled? 

Wani  If it's incorrect to say..... Some songs like "Aijin" are pretty on-the-nose, which is the image I have in mind of this. 

Rika  That's right (laughs). And here, unlike the White Team, they've already broken up, the partner has already left the home, and she's even come to the decision of leaving it herself too. Trying to move on. 

Wani  She's a strong woman huh.

Rika  It seems that she made her own decision to leave, and I also feel her strength. Even though Teresa Teng's voice is sweet and feminine with inflection.

Wani  It's got a mood

Rika  It can be interpreted that she made a mistake, but I wonder what comes after the part where she sings "But tomorrow we'll become strangers to one another" ?  It feels like a cold remark when she says "But tomorrow we'll become". There's a total disconnect there, so if she was the one who made the mistake, I don't think she'd be so aggressive about it.

Wani  But what happens to her hope of "Don't forget me" ? 

Rika  Well...... There's still feelings of love that remain. I wonder if I'm coming off too strong?

Wani  I feel that you're being self-indulgent!

Rika  That's for sure.

Wani  She seems to be a strong woman, but if she cuts herself off, that wouldn't be any good

Rika  This song also is high in key, so it gives off the impression that she's crying. Isn't it like taking a step forward for a woman who is strong, and isn't used to being loved?

Wani  I see, the Shimakura Theory is deep. It's time to decide, so please introduce the winner.

Rika  It's definitely Red Team again! I think that he really loved his partner, but in "Shitetsu Ensen" it gave off a strong impression of him stopping. As for whatever the future holds for the couple in "Tsugunai" , I like the fact that they're both moving onwards. Another reason is that the song suggests a self-reliant, independent woman. 

Wani  
 Relatively speaking, this time the outcome was much more of a clear-cut decision!  And so, the Red Team wins the round two! That's two times in a row! Next time, will White Team get their revenge!?




-------------------------------------------------------



A word from the translator…

I'm quite happy to do this project! I'll be deciding on a posting schedule soon, but since I'm 16? issues behind schedule now, we'll be going into turbo haha

As for what's mentioned in the first part: she featured in "Konya Kurabete Mimashita" on Nippon Television. Here's her blog about it, she appeared along other Showa Kayo lovers with the theme of "A woman in her 20s who yearns for 80's idols" (In the blog, she actually declared "NO SHOWA NO LIFE" lol)

Look forward to the next one! 

"Shimakura Rika x Wanibooks RikaWani Kouhaku Utagassen vol.3: Is it Red Team's third consecutive victory!? Or could it be..."

Comments

Post a Comment