WEB: Shimakura Rika x WaniBooks "RikaWani Kohaku Utagassen" vol.1


2020/12/03


Shimakura Rika, born in the Heisei era, debuted as a member of BEYOOOOONDS in the Reiwa era,  loves Showa era music! Each issue she will select songs depending on the theme, discuss the appeal of each song based on her own perspective, and then decide a winner! Accompanying Shimakura Rika will be the genuine, Showa era spirited Wani-chan.

2020/11/05

A "Reiwa" idol who wanted to be born in the "Showa" era. 


Wani  At last it's finally begun! RikaWani Kohaku!!

Rika  The long-awaited!

Wani  
It's no secret that Rika-chan loves Showa era music, which is why this project was created, but before we get into the Kohaku Utagassen, please remind us of how you came to like Showa music!! 

Rika  The both of my parents loved Matsuda Seiko-san, and her songs were played a lot in the car. But when I was little, I wasn't really into it...... But then in my second year of junior high school, I was shocked watching old footage of Matsuda Seiko on TV. I thought "an idol so cute and can sing so well actually exists!" 

Then from there I started to listen to Matsuda Seiko, and after that I began to think that Showa era music was amazing. I started listening to idol songs from the Showa era, from which I came to like Okada Yukiko-san's "Sotsugyou" and Kosaka Akiko-san's "Anata" , I even started singing these songs at karaoke. 

Wani  I'm worried about the difference in interest from you and others of your generation.....

Rika Though I'm singing as if I've become an idol from the Showa era. Recently, the BEYOOOOONDS members have started to get to know a few Showa era songs. 

Wani  It makes me glad to know that the members were so kind (laughs). Although while you were listening to the music, didn't you develop an interest for other things of the Showa era? 

Rika  That's right. Stuff like retro clothing, anime... Now I'm not just interested in the music, but "Showa" in general. I seriously think I was born in the wrong era. 

Wani  The Showa era really was a good time times though.....

Rika  
Ahhhhh, I really wanted to be born in the Showa era, and then experience youth in the Showa era. I, absolutely, think that the Showa era suits me more. 



What's the first theme?

Wani  So with that being said, please announce the first theme!

Rika  The theme is "Seaside love at first sight, Kisugi Takao Showdown" 

Wani  Going first in Red Team is?

Rika  Nakamori Akina-san's "Slow Motion"

      

Wani  This is the song that you covered at Hello! Project concerts

Rika  Yes, but it's not my place for me to be able to sing this song though.

Wani  It's the golden combo, music composed by Kisugi Takao-san and lyrics written by Kisugi Etsuko-san!

Rika  "Slow Motion" was actually the first song worked on by Kisugi Takao-san that I listened to. It's amazing that a brother and his older sister could create such a lovely song. 

Wani  And Akina-chan's young, sweet voice is great too!

Rika  Then, there's a sad feeling to it. The moment when a girl has a striking encounter with a cool boy on the seaside and falls in love with him is accurately portrayed! It's not the impression of a blooming love that gets me excited, but from the minor tone of the song to it's soothing atmosphere, the whole thing is flawless. 

Wani  Could it also be that it expresses something like the girl's heart wavering?

Rika  I have a scene in mind. But the mere fact that this was a teenage idol's debut song is groundbreaking. 



Who'll be the winner?!

Wani  Now what about the opposing White Team? Because it's the Kisugi Takao Showdown. 

Rika  It'll be "Asai Yume"

Wani  So you went there! If it's Kisugi Takao-san we're talking about, there'll be a lot of major hits

Rika  Kisugi Takao-san is my favorite voice among male singers. That clear voice without any impurities. I feel that "Asai Yume" is packed with that. 

Wani  It's kind of like his debut single

Rika  The same as "Slow Motion" ! And the songs with the theme of an encounter is the same. But this is a mature romance. Unlike the striking encounter of "Slow Motion" , this feels more of a peaceful one. 

Wani  Does that show in the melody or the tone of his voice?

Rika  Personally I feel that the lyrics "I was captivated by her eyes" feel mature. Like he saw a woman that seemed a little lonely, and couldn't just ignore her.....

Wani  In the end, the love is realized in the conclusion. Both songs are the same in that regard. 

Rika  "Slow Motion" slows down in tempo at the end of the song, "Asai Yume" also has that decline at the end, the arrangement is exquisite. They're both wonderful songs that give enough room to imagine the scene without being overpowering. 


Wani  It's difficult to pick one out, but we have to decide the victor. 

Rika  This is tough...... Though we can't leave it as a tie, so this time the winner is Red Team's "Slow Motion" !!

Wani  The reasoning being?!

Rika  The theme is something I could relate to, so it was easy for me to get emotionally invested into. Also, it was from here that I started to get familiar with Kisugi Takao-san's work, and it was the first song I've heard worked on by him, I kinda favored it (laughs). But really, it was hard to decide the winner between these two songs.

Wani  And with that the winner of the first round is the Red Team! I'm worried that we won't be able to choose a victor next time, but I can't wait to see what kind of showdown it'll be!




-------------------------------------------------------



A word from the translator…

Thank you for reading the very first one! 👏 As I get around to translating the other 17, as of July 2021, my best recommendation is to check out the Spotify link and start making some commentary of your own! 

Isn’t Rika-chan amazing?! She’s amazing, right?!! Her love for music is so wonderful, and so everything she does based on it becomes wonderful… Like her cover of Slow Motion!

Comments